Thursday, February 25, 2016

Lessons through my Kids




How often God chooses to speak to me through my kids amazes me. Seriously, it feels like an a-ha moment every time. Sometimes I feel like that's the main reason He allowed me to have kids!





During an uncommon cuddling this evening I was telling my son,"You used to give me hugs all the time and now it's only if I tell you to give me one". I remembered how when he was a couple years younger, maybe even just last year, how he would give me hugs pretty often. With him starting kindergarten this year, he's learning to be more independent. In reality, aren't we truly the same way? 


When we first start our walk as a "baby Christian", we tend to seek God on a pretty constant basis. We want to absorb as much as we can, talk about him, and learn as often as possible. Then we start to backslide, ever so slightly, getting comfortable with where we're at. Perhaps the fire that used to blaze begin to diminish to a flicker. The passion that once resided in our hearts starts to subside and the urgent tasks of life begin to take over. God sometimes has to remind us, usually starting with a gentle nudge or prodding of our hearts, to set some time aside for Him, that he wants to speak to us. 

He doesn't get angry with us because He doesn't spend time with us, but I believe it does hurt Him, although it doesn't surprise Him. He loves us, He created us, and He knows us better than we know ourselves. We are benefited most in spending time with Him. It builds us up and refreshes our minds to a kingdom mindset.

Have you considered how God feels when you choose something over spending time with Him? Do you think God gets angry with us when we reject him? What do you think His reaction is?


As a mom, I constantly get rejected by my kids (shocker, huh!). I may get upset, but I know they're kids and really don't intend on hurting my feelings or even upsetting me. They're just thinking about themselves and what they want, not about anybody's feelings - that is simply beyond their capacity at their ages (6 and almost 3). 


My daughter can be really loving at times and then there are those other times... like this evening, when I tell her to give me a hug and she gets that mischievous look in her eye and runs the opposite direction.  Of course, later she decides she wanted a hug. Did I turn her away? Of course not! I eagerly gave her that hug. If I, in my flesh, can turn away from being rejected and love on my daughter in her own timing, how much sweeter is God to us?

Luke 11:11-13New International Version (NIV)

11 “Which of you fathers, if your son asks for[a] a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

When have you strayed off the path God was leading you on? When did you decide to turn back to Him? How did He receive you? If you haven't turned back to Him yet, what are you waiting for? I mean, literally, what are you waiting for - think about it....answer it for yourself and pray if God will change your heart.


Jeremiah 29:13New International Version (NIV)

13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

If you haven't turned back to Him yet, He hasn't given up on you yet.


Luke 15New International Version (NIV)

Then Jesus told them this parable: “Suppose one of you has a hundred sheep and loses one of them. Doesn’t he leave the ninety-nine in the open country and go after the lost sheep until he finds it? And when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home. Then he calls his friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost sheep.’ I tell you that in the same way there will be more rejoicing in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who do not need to repent.

No comments:

Post a Comment