Thursday, July 6, 2017

Reflections in Romans, 2:17-29

Before I get into what I got out of this one, I just have to say that I forgot how loaded Romans is. There is SO much meat in the text. This passage alone has so much depth to it and could go so deep into really looking into ourselves and our motives vs our hearts.

Romans 2:17-29


I. Jews take pride in the law (2:17-20)
II. Jews attitude is  "Do as I say, not as I do" (2:21-24)

III. Jews are taught about outward appearance vs heart condition (2:25-29)

Summary/my insights:
The Jews are puffed up with pride in their knowledge, in their religion and their appearance of wanting to teach others. The Jews are reprimanded in Paul's letter for not practicing what they preach, thus dishonoring God and turning others away from God. (sound familiar Christians?) The Jews are corrected in their thinking that just because they are physically circumcised and have the law, that's not an automatic "in". If the Gentiles observe the law and are not physically circumcised, people will regard them as Jews for observing the law. It's about the heart which is led by the Spirit, not the outward appearance.

Application Questions:
I. Am I depending on my knowledge of God or a relationship with God? Will you ask God to help yourself be honest and go deeper in the question? What is truly the source that is powering me? Who or What is guiding me? God? Fears, doubts, worries, lack of trust? Worries? Stress? Feelings? [I think it can be different for different situations - the real struggle is to give it ALL over to God, relinquish control. Have I mentioned that I'm a control freak?]

II. Am I practicing what I say I believe in? What am I saying to others that I'm not following myself? What do others say about God because of my actions and words? 

III. How does my outward behavior conflict with what's on my heart (good or bad)? Where are there some things that are done with the wrong motive behind them? Where am I seeking man's approval instead of God's?

No comments:

Post a Comment